May 11, 2009

Nothing is Happening (to the Ordinary Canadian)

Well, it's about three weeks into summer vacation for most university students, and those of us who have not washed out and are planning on continuing to dump large sums of money into the beurocratic mess that is Higher Education are probably concentrating on enjoying our summer.

This is not quite as easy as it sounds, as seven months in an institution that prides itself on giving it's students large -piles- of homework turns even the most adaptable people into paranoid, pale zombies. Certainly, that is my experience. I got home, turned around once, and started to think of what I should be doing. I was thoroughly unsettled when I couldn't come up with something. On the way home from the airport, I asked my Dad (who usually talks to me about the comings and goings in the world) what had happened while I was living in the bubble known as Residence. Surprisingly, there was not much to talk about. Harper hasn't done anything stupid lately (mostly because he hasn't been backed into a corner recently, or someone more qualified is writing his speeches. Seriously, it's not hard. Just avoid things that tug on your common sense.); furthermore, the stock market is no longer a bastion of fear akin to the Titanic. In fact, believe it or not, people are no longer afraid. Strange, I know. Anyways, nothing of significance had happened in North American economics or politics since February. I know there's been plenty of foreign news, but personally, I need to keep things a little closer to home for now. Being incensed over issues that I have absolutely no power or funds to use in their causes is, quite frankly, a drain on my time.

It seems to me that the ordinary Canadian is meandering through the summer, finding jobs after layoffs, and all around being average. And this is the part that bugs me: that there is absolutely nothing going on. Well, that's not entirely true. Certainly things change, people change, and the wide world comes and goes just as it has always done, but locally, Calgary seems to be more or less the Hobbiton of Canada. We don't particularly like change (Alberta as a whole indeed), and when it does come, it tends to be slow. Fortunately for us, we are not midgets with hairy feet, so there will be no throwing Rings of Power into the fires of Mount Doom for us. Darn. Still, the sensibilities gained from University Life are begging me for something productive to do. To that end, I am rebuilding my family's fence while waiting around for something to happen.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment