September 13, 2009

Well, here is yet another post from Bragg Creek, where the internet is slow, and the social life even slower.

So, as you all know, readers (if there are any of you out there, I hold no illusions about the interesting factor of my blog), I have been working at a camp over the summer; I have also stayed on for a portion of the fall season. It's been interesting, for more than one reason.

The first is that I, once again, live in a black hole, world events-wise. And I'm tired of it. I want to be connected to the world via radio or some other media that does not involve logging in. I dislike having to drive home and ask Dad (word for word, now) "What's new in the world?" to get the lowdown. September 11th was yesterday, and I don't think I heard anything about it, other than: "Your birthday is in 5 days, right?" (This is indeed correct. My birthday is in five days. More on that later), which is kind of strange. I mean, haven't the United States of America been holding on to that terrible day (eight years removed now) with all the tenacity of the chilled grips of winter upon Calgary? Perhaps President Obama has a new strategy with regards to events nearly ten years ago that started a war that has yet to finish, but I remain skeptical. Hasn't the aforementioned strategy of reminding the American citizenry why it is that their loved ones are being blown up with fertilizer and gas been productive? Why mess with a good thing?

My second beef with this camp is that I am going to be here on my birthday. Which isn't really a problem, but, if I were honest about this (and it's not often I am), I'd like to celebrate my birthday at home, and (if at all possible) on the date of its occurrence. The fact that Hanna has postponed my birthday until the second of October is also interesting, but completely understandable on her end. I mean, really, I didn't make a fuss about it, and I don't really notice when the day passes unless someone rigs up a card or something, so it won't be remarkable to me that perhaps I will go through the process of starting my 20th year of life without knowing it. I am really looking forward to it, something that I'm sure anyone reading this can see. I don't want a whole lot for my birthday - just to see my family and friends. Unfortunately for me, the seeing friends bit, in part, will have to wait until January. I'm coming to terms with this, but it still smarts sometimes; that's just my cross to bear.

It's only been three weeks since Hanna left for Ontario, and I am already going a little bit crazy. While I have lots of memories to draw on, there's the urge to make new ones - she's just got that thing where I want to spend as much time as I can with her. Even as a reasoning human being, there are times where I have to let my brain go, and usually, it goes to her. And I can't honestly say as I don't enjoy it a little. I've never known three weeks to feel so long. The 16th will also mark our monthiversary (something I'm not sure whether to make note of or not...help?)...which means three and a half weeks that I haven't seen her, and three days where I have (since figuring out where we both stood - and I was slow with this as well, don't you worry). Although, to be perfectly fair, we only saw each other in a work environment, so I'm not sure that that counts anyways. I think it does, but it doesn't exactly contribute to the fund of memories that I draw on each day.

Anyhow, I think that I had better get to bed in order to work this morning. I hope that you all have fun at school and at your regular jobs that pay you way more than I could ever hope to make here. Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment