Good evening, readers. As you should already know, I am back, with yet another mini-rant (Well, they're actually not too small unless compared to Mr. Patterson's. Those are monster-rants. And politically awesome.). Anyways, today's topic is...honesty! Again, if you don't already know this, well, "No soup for you!"
So, onto the story. As with many stories worth telling, it's about a girl. And unlike the stereotypical next line, I am not in love with her. She, however, does like me more than a friend should, and told me so this evening. She then pressed me for an answer as to whether or not I reciprocated her feelings. Having asked me, she proceeded to tell me that this was the first time she had told a boy that she liked them, and that she was (understandably) a little nervous (in fact, she was so nervous that I thought she should sit down before her knees gave way). This made my decision just a little more tricky. I already knew that I did not return her feelings, no matter how great she is. However, I did not want to break her heart, and also didn't wish to be the reason that she never goes up to another man and tells him that she has feelings for him. I was in a position where, potentially, I could alter a little bit of her life. And I felt awful because of it.
In the end, though, I knew that I had to be honest about the whole shebang, and told her that, while I didn't return her feelings, I thought she was an awesome gal and that I felt terrible for having to turn her down. Surprisingly, she took it pretty well - better than I've known a lot of people, even myself, to have handled rejection. In the end though, the talk has to end and we went back to friends, albeit slightly more awkward for her, at least. I am making the attempt to think nothing of it, and continue being myself near her. The thought has struck me that doing so may just bring her back, like an emotional bungee cord, and for that, if it ever happens, I will be truly sorry. But just as I was honest with her request for an answer, so I must be honest with myself, and be who I am, regardless of who is or is not attracted to me.
And that is it for today, people of the blog. Tune in in the near future for more musings and venting to the great void that is the internet. Goodnight, void.
You wrote out the story after all! Thanks for sharing =)
ReplyDelete