Here I am again. I suppose this ranting to the void of the internet business has some attractions to it, not least of which is that certainly only the people that I know and choose to disclose where I'm typing to can read it. So here we go.
Yesterday, one of my dear friends decided that she "is in love with" a guy she knows. Having experience in the department, I asked her to be sure of what she was feeling before telling the man in question. She didn't understand. I proceeded to explain that 'love' is one of those words that one shouldn't just toss around like money - it has deeper meaning.
She still didn't get it. I was forced to do something I told myself I would never, ever, even consider doing: I told her how I had felt about her while we were going out. I told her that even if I had only seen her once every two months, I would have been happy (and this was very nearly the case). I told her that every time I was with her, I couldn't have cared less what our friends thought, because they didn't matter. I told her that every time she got out of my car and walked into her house, I felt so much physical pain that I had to drive away, park around the corner, and cry for a couple minutes. And then I told her that I might have loved her. Because even to this day, I'm not sure. Certainly, I felt something. Absolutely, it was close to love. But was it love? I don't know, and that's the one word you don't throw around without really meaning it. And I was obliged to tell her that one can't bury those feelings. Not even close.
And so, there I was, over eight months after we went our separate ways, telling her how I felt about her. Over that despicable Facebook-Chat thing, no less. And the response I got was this: "Wow. Ummmm, okay." That alone told me she doesn't love this guy of hers. Which is a shame, because she's a lovely girl, and he has absolutely no idea that she likes him. His 12-year-old brother, on the other hand, is giving him so many hints that he could have been a teleprompter for George W Bush. And this guy still has no clue.
At this point of her mini-rant, I jumped in. I am sure that I did the right thing - one of them has to deal with the other at some point, and rather sooner than later for my ex-girlfriend. I told her, in no uncertain terms, that she was to choose. Either she could tell him to his face, or over Facebook, or I could tell him. Either way will get the job done, of that we are both sure.
What she doesn't know is that I was right when I said that those feelings never leave. Just telling her brought back a measure of what I felt for her, and that, even by my books, was a while ago. I spent six months getting to the point where I could listen to her talk about her guy problems and not want to smash something, and now, thanks to her inability to tell a male that she has feelings for him, I'm back to being a stupid lovesick man myself.
Thanks so much for that, E. It was oh-so-very-much appreciated.
I propose that she gave such a filmsy response because your explanation had an exceptional emotional depth. And on that note, I agree that she's probably not in love with this guy (perhaps infatuated) but the notion of "love" has different meaning and implications for different individuals.
ReplyDeleteFor those that feel things deeply, it means a lot. For those that may be emotionally detached, it's a four letter word and that's it. And then all the people in between these two extremes...
Not that I'm saying anyone can judge emotional capacity of another person (or even themselves); seems like a ridiculously difficult and abstract thing to do.
Considering how much stock women tend to put into romance, it's absolutely staggering how clueless some of them are in the face of the real deal. And, of course, they retain absolute power over all things sexual.
ReplyDeleteKudos to you, Pieter, on being so direct and directed about all of this mad and crazy stuff, which is sort of like trying to take a picture of a hurricane.